Who I Am
I am a content specialist with more than 20 years experience writing and editing for both digital and print publications. I have written about music for Paste, The Village Voice, and The Big Takeover, as well as my own webzine, The Agit Reader, and have covered consumer tech and internet retail for TechRadar and DealNews. I am completing an MA in Digital Media to expand my expertise in the digital realm by exploring new forms of media and digital storytelling. My goal is to land a position that utilizes my content creation expertise to deliver compelling stories effectively via a variety of media.
Skills and Abilities
• Exceptional writing skills. Recognized by awards from the Association of Alternative Newsweeklies, Cleveland Press Club, and Ohio Society of Professional Journalists.
• Excellent copy editing and proofreading skills honed over many years working on print and digital publications. Knowledgeable in Chicago and AP styles.
• Well-versed in Adobe Creative Cloud including:
- Advanced Adobe Photoshop skills developed preparing photos and graphics for publication in a number of roles
- Adobe Premiere video editing skills developed creating a short documentary film
- Adobe XD skills developed creating app prototype
- Adobe Spark skills developed for Digital Storytelling module
• Extensive experience using WordPress to create websites and manage content
• Strong understanding of SEO developed writing ecommerce content
• Basic knowledge of HTML
• Solid understanding of Google Analytics
• Adept at creating digital newsletters using such applications as MailChimp
The Agit Reader, Editor (June 2008 to present)
- Designed and launched weekly music webzine.
- Edit and publish content while writing a large portion of the site’s material (artist interviews and reviews of albums, books, and concerts).
- Promote the webzine through social media and special events.
Freelance Writer (September 1997 to present)
- Publications include The Village Voice, CMJ New Music Monthly, Paste, The Big Takeover, Willamette Week, The Other Paper, Columbus Alive, and Columbus Monthly.
Almost Ready Records, Brooklyn, NY—Publicist & Assistant Manager (Oct. 2018–April 2019)
- Manned retail location, selling and buying new and used records and placing orders for stock.
- Publicized record label’s artists and releases by writing and distributing press releases and creating and uploading social media content.
DealNews, New York, NY—Flat Fee Deals Editor (November 2018–January 2019)
- Vetted flat fee deals
- Prepared deals and copy for publication
- Corresponded with vendors
TechRadar, New York, NY—U.S. Deals Editor (March 2018–November 2018)
- Led ecommerce efforts in the U.S. by creating and maintaining deal pages
- Optimized content for SEO and monetisation
DealNews, New York, NY—Senior Features Writer (January 2016–March 2018)
- Wrote features on consumer news and related topics
- Covered shopping events like Black Friday and Prime Day
- Composed buying guides and weekly roundups of top HDTV and laptop deals
- Tracked price trends
- Generated daily marketing emails
DealNews, New York, NY—Staff Writer (October 2013–December 2015)
- Wrote multiple posts on noteworthy sales and internet shopping deals daily
- Covered shopping events such as Black Friday
Scenios, New York, NY—Blogger & Social Media Marketing Coordinator (May 2012–April 2013)
- Launched month-long CPC advertising campaign on Facebook and LinkedIn
- Contributed daily posts to Production 2.0 film and video production blog
- Published weekly newsletter
LimeWire, New York, NY—Staff Writer (April 2010–November 2010)
- Wrote features on artists and labels, as well as album reviews, for LimeWire store
- Posted daily news stories and other articles to LimeWire blog
Columbus Alive, Columbus, OH—Music Editor (August 2002–April 2006)
- Oversaw music section of Columbus’ weekly arts and entertainment newspaper
- Supervised a roster of freelance writers and interns to generate content
- Wrote cover stories and other features
- Coordinated the production of annual local music CD each year
- Organized events to launch special issues, and appeared on radio programs and at special events to help promote the paper
- Writing won awards from AAN, Ohio Society of Professional Journalists, and the Cleveland Press Club
DesignGroup, Columbus, OH—Visualization Coordinator (June 2000–July 2002)
- Generated graphic materials for proposals, interviews and other marketing purposes
- Oversaw creation of new company website
- Coordinated photography of completed projects
- Acted as a liaison with public relations consultant
London Metropolitan University (in progress to graduate January 2021)
MA in Digital Media
New York University
BA in English