Who I Am
A content specialist with more than 25 years of experience writing and editing for both digital and print publications, I excel at creating compelling stories via a variety of media. Currently, I work for the Bose Corporation as a copywriter/content designer, creating marketing content for email, app messaging, and web. I also cover consumer tech and create commerce content for Popular Mechanics and Merriam-Webster’s The Usage, and in the past have written about tech and internet retail trends for Digital Trends, DealNews, and TechRadar. I also have extensive experience writing about popular music and have contributed features and reviews to Paste, The Village Voice, and The Big Takeover, among others, as well as my own webzine, The Agit Reader. I recently completed an MA in Digital Media at London Metropolitan University to further expand my expertise in the digital realm by exploring new forms of media and digital storytelling.
Skills and Abilities
• Exceptional writing skills. Recognized by awards from the Association of Alternative Newsweeklies, Cleveland Press Club, and Ohio Society of Professional Journalists.
• Excellent copy editing and proofreading skills honed over many years working on print and digital publications. Knowledgeable in Chicago and AP styles.
• Well-versed in Adobe Creative Cloud including:
- Advanced Adobe Photoshop skills developed preparing photos and graphics for publication in a number of roles
- Adobe Premiere video editing skills developed creating a short documentary film
- Adobe XD skills developed creating app prototype
- Adobe Spark skills developed for Digital Storytelling module
• Extensive experience using WordPress to create websites and manage content
• Strong understanding of SEO developed writing ecommerce content
• Basic knowledge of HTML
• Solid understanding of Google Analytics
• Adept at creating digital newsletters using such applications as MailChimp
Bose Corporation, Copywriter/Content Designer (June 2021 to present)
- Create copy for product pages, homepage panels, and other website elements as needed, and coordinate with designers on visual elements.
- Write content marketing stories.
- Generate email and app messages.
Freelance Writer (As long as I can remember to present)
- Publications include Popular Mechanics, The Usage, Digital Trends, The Village Voice, CMJ New Music Monthly, Paste, The Big Takeover, Willamette Week, The Other Paper, Columbus Alive, and Columbus Monthly.
The Agit Reader, Editor (June 2008 to present)
- Designed and launched weekly music webzine.
- Edit and publish content while writing a large portion of the site’s material (artist interviews and reviews of albums, books, and concerts).
- Promote the webzine through social media and special events.
Almost Ready Records, Brooklyn, NY—Publicist (Oct. 2018–April 2019)
- Publicized record label’s artists and releases by writing and distributing press releases and creating and uploading social media content.
DealNews, New York, NY—Flat Fee Deals Editor (November 2018–January 2019)
- Vetted flat fee deals
- Prepared deals and copy for publication
- Corresponded with vendors
TechRadar, New York, NY—U.S. Deals Editor (March 2018–November 2018)
- Led ecommerce efforts in the U.S. by creating and maintaining deal pages
- Optimized content for SEO and monetisation
DealNews, New York, NY—Senior Features Writer (January 2016–March 2018)
- Wrote features on consumer news and related topics
- Covered shopping events like Black Friday and Prime Day
- Composed buying guides and weekly roundups of top HDTV and laptop deals
- Tracked price trends
- Generated daily marketing emails
DealNews, New York, NY—Staff Writer (October 2013–December 2015)
- Wrote multiple posts on noteworthy sales and internet shopping deals daily
- Covered shopping events such as Black Friday
Scenios, New York, NY—Blogger & Social Media Marketing Coordinator (May 2012–April 2013)
- Launched month-long CPC advertising campaign on Facebook and LinkedIn
- Contributed daily posts to Production 2.0 film and video production blog
- Published weekly newsletter
LimeWire, New York, NY—Staff Writer (April 2010–November 2010)
- Wrote features on artists and labels, as well as album reviews, for LimeWire store
- Posted daily news stories and other articles to LimeWire blog
Columbus Alive, Columbus, OH—Music Editor (August 2002–April 2006)
- Oversaw music section of Columbus’ weekly arts and entertainment newspaper
- Supervised a roster of freelance writers and interns to generate content
- Wrote cover stories and other features
- Coordinated the production of annual local music CD each year
- Organized events to launch special issues, and appeared on radio programs and at special events to help promote the paper
- Writing won awards from AAN, Ohio Society of Professional Journalists, and the Cleveland Press Club
DesignGroup, Columbus, OH—Visualization Coordinator (June 2000–July 2002)
- Generated graphic materials for proposals, interviews and other marketing purposes
- Oversaw creation of new company website
- Coordinated photography of completed projects
- Acted as a liaison with public relations consultant
London Metropolitan University—Graduated with Merit June 2021
MA in Digital Media
New York University
BA in English